Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 15, 2010

Genesis 21

As we read the Old Testament, especially Genesis, there is so little of information that we sometimes have to speculate or read between the lines what is going on. We find this after the birth of Isaac -

"...Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking." (Old Testament | Genesis 21:9)

By this time, Ishmael must have been somewhat older. Sarah then says to Abraham -

"...Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac." (Old Testament | Genesis 21:10)

This may seem very hard on Sarah's part. This is where I think we are not given enough information. We don't know but the two living with Abraham may have been causing a signficant family problem. We are not told but yet we sense that the status quo couldn't continue. We know with all that was going on that this -

"...thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son." (Old Testament | Genesis 21:11)

If things were unbearable as they seemed, something had to change. What is the key to this story is that -

"...God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called." (Old Testament | Genesis 21:12)

It is obvious that Abraham took this problem to the Lord and he received this revelation. Abraham was to send Hagar and Ishmael away. Something had to be done and the Lord counseled that this would be best and then assured Abraham -

"...also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed." (Old Testament | Genesis 21:13)

For many, this may seem mean and unrighteous for Abraham. I sense Abraham wanted to do the best thing for his wives and children, but he also knew that things would not work out if things continued as they did. He must have been comforted in his decision by revelation through the Holy Ghost.

I can personally relate this experience to myself. I have a handicap daughter. At a certain time in her lift, her behavior was such that things could not remain as they were. A choice had to be made. In my situation, my daughter ended up on a foster home and eventually a group home where everything has since worked out for the best - the best for my daughter and best for my family. We talk daily and visit with each other weekly. The most important to the overall picture was the Spirit whispering to us that this is the best decision.