Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Genesis 22

In the Church, we are taught that everything evolves around the family. In fact, one of the very purposes of the Church is to assist the family in becoming and eternal and celestial unit. One of the the most important works as parents to help our children know we love them. But in all our efforts, we must not lose focus on the greatest of all commandments -

"...Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength; and in the name of Jesus Christ thou shalt serve him." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 59:5)

I believe that the most important thing we can do for our family members is to live such that they know that you love the Lord. This is the first great commandment.

This morning I read where -

"...God did tempt[prove] Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of." (Old Testament | Genesis 22:1 - 2)

In our day, this is very hard to understand. Yet this was the test the Lord placed on Abraham. And Abraham obeyed for -

"...Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him." (Old Testament | Genesis 22:3)

The scriptures provide no information on the struggles and suffering that Abraham may have gone through from when he received the commandment to when he went forth to accomplish it. As much as Abraham loved Isaac, Abraham showed Isaac that he loved the Lord with all his heart, might, mind, and strenght.

Isaac became the father of many nations because of his obedience also. I'm sure he learned that as he witnessed the obedience of his father.