Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 16, 2009

D&C 67

Having had revealed His preface to the Book of Commandments or modern-day Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord said to those gathered in conference -

"And again, verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry, that inasmuch as you strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me, for ye are not sufficiently humble, the veil shall be rent and you shall see me and know that I am..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 67:10)

He then explains how they will see Him and know that He is -

"...—not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 67:10)

What seemed to jump out at me was the words "your privilege, and a promise ".  Privilege means -

"a right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor"  (Merriam-Webster Dictionary}

The Lord later taught of this privilege that -

"...this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:19)

And also -

"The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:18 - 19)

This is the privilege of those that come unto this priesthood and strips themselves of jealousies, fears, and do humble themselves before the Lord.