Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

D&C 79 - 82

Many seem to desire and rejoice in new revelation, but with new revelation also comes additional responsibility. To a general council in Jackson County, Missouri, the Lord said -

"Ye call upon my name for revelations, and I give them unto you; and inasmuch as ye keep not my sayings, which I give unto you, ye become transgressors; and justice and judgment are the penalty which is affixed unto my law." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:4)

With the reminder -

"For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:3)

"Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.
10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:9 - 10)

Directions on how to act, accompanied with promised blessings were given to Frederick G. Williams as he was called a counselor in the Presidency of the High Priesthood -

"I ...will bless ...thee, inasmuch as thou art faithful in counsel, in the office which I have appointed unto you, in prayer always, vocally and in thy heart, in public and in private, also in thy ministry in proclaiming the gospel in the land of the living, and among thy brethren." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 81:3)

I believe this direction as well as the following applies to all that are appointed as counselors -

"...stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 81:5)

"For Zion must increase in beauty, and in holiness; her borders must be enlarged; her stakes must be strengthened; yea, verily I say unto you, Zion must arise and put on her beautiful garments." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:14)

And it is in the 82nd section that the Lord "consecrated the land of Kirtland" as the first "stake to Zion." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:13)

To those willing to live a Law of Consecration, willing to consecrate all they possess to the Church, the Lord commands "...be bound together by a bond and covenant... (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:11)...I give unto you this commandment, that ye bind yourselves by this covenant, and it shall be done according to the laws of the Lord..."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:15) A covenant "...that cannot be broken by transgression, except judgment shall immediately follow, in your several stewardships—
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:11)

This covenant being -

"..you are to be equal, or in other words, you are to have equal claims on the properties, for the benefit of managing the concerns of your stewardships, every man according to his wants and his needs, inasmuch as his wants are just—
18 And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church—
19 Every man seeking the interest of his neighbor, and doing all things with an eye single to the glory of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:17 - 19)


6 And if thou art faithful unto the end thou shalt have a crown of immortality, and eternal life in the mansions which I have prepared in the house of my Father.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 81:6)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home