Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, May 23, 2005

D&C 110 - 117

It is during the period of these revelations, between 1836 - 1837, that it seems the pride of the world, that which is warned of so heavily in the Book of Mormon, seemed to creep into the Church, especially amongst those in leadership positions. Now knowing the eventual historical outcome of Thomas B. Marsh, the President of the Quorum of the Twelve, I find the revelation known as the 112th Section not only very disturbing but also a personal warning.

It becomes apparent that Brother Marsh had been diligent in his faith and duties -

"...I have heard thy prayers; and thine alms have come up as a memorial before me, in behalf of those, thy brethren..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:1) "...I know thy heart, and have heard thy prayers concerning thy brethren..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:11)

But -

"...there have been some few things in thine heart and with thee with which I, the Lord, was not well pleased..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:2)

But as with all those he calls -

"...I, the Lord, have a great work for thee to do..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:6) "...Arise and gird up your loins, take up your across, follow me, and feed my sheep..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:14)

But in doing so he delivers several warnings -

"...Be not partial towards them in love above many others, but let thy love be for them as for thyself; and let thy love abound unto all men, and unto all who love my name...."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:11)

"...Exalt not yourselves; rebel not against my servant Joseph..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:15)

"...Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:10)

And in doing so the Lord promises -

"...inasmuch as thou hast abased thyself thou shalt be exalted; therefore, all thy sins are forgiven thee..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:3)

And the same promise is extended to all -

"..Inasmuch as they shall humble themselves before me, and abide in my word, and hearken to the voice of my Spirit..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:22)

Had many of the brethren including Bro. Marsh followed this counsel, to "rebel not against my servant(s)", the prophets, great blessing would have been bestowed on them and their posterity. These truths remain for his servants today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home