Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 24, 2005

D&C 18-20

First a quote that I heard from Bishop Kirkman last Sunday that I really liked:
"People don't care what you know - until they know how much you care." Very similar to what the Apostle Paul taught the Corinthians - "THOUGH I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
(New Testament 1 Corinthians 13:1)


"Take upon you the name of Christ, and speak the truth in soberness."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:21). As we partake of the sacrament, we covenant to take upon us the name of Christ. To take upon us the name of Christ we must be willing to speak the truth, bear testimony of the truth - which is -

17 ...we know that there is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting the same unchangeable God, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them;
18 And that he created man, male and female, after his own image and in his own likeness, created he them;
19 And gave unto them commandments that they should love and bserve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.
20 But by the transgression of these holy laws man became sensual and devilish, and became fallen man.
21 Wherefore, the Almighty God gave his Only Begotten Son, as it is written in those scriptures which have been given of him.
22 He suffered temptations but gave no heed unto them.
23 He was crucified, died, and rose again the third day;
24 And ascended into heaven, to sit down on the right hand of the Father, to reign with almighty power according to the will of the Father;
25 That as many as would believe and be baptized in his holy name, and endure in faith to the end, should be saved—
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:17 - 25)

Therefore, we are to "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 19:23) "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God"(Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:10) "Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:14)

And this is what he said about his words or his "voice" -

33 And I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
34 These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;
35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
36 Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:33 - 36)

The Spirit has witnessed that these words are true - I can so testify that I have heard his voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home