Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 12, 2015

JC - Chapter 30

One of the characteristics the Savior continually denounced was hypocrisy.  As He approached Jerusalem in His final mortal week -

"...he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away."  (New Testament | Matthew 21:19)

It seem the next morning, Peter noted -

"...Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away."  (New Testament | Mark 11:21)

I see in this event two lessons.  The first being that the Savior not only had the power to heal, but also power to deny or destroy.  Much is the scriptures speak of judgement and the following damnation.

The second again is hypocrisy.  The tree had the appearance that fruit would be plentiful.  But it brought forth no fruit.  The Savior taught -

"Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away..."  (New Testament | John 15:2)

One of the tests of this life is to bring forth fruit.