Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 09, 2015

JC - Chapter 29

Even though the gospel writers suggest that the apostles did not quite understand the Savior's message that he would suffer death and come forth the on the third day, my thoughts are that Mary and Martha did for as he visited them on His last Sabbath -

"There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat."  (New Testament | Matthew 26:7)

After a small dispute concerning the value of the precious ointment, the Savior rebuked -

"...Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial."  (New Testament | Matthew 26:10 - 12)

Elder Talmage commented -

"We are left without certain information as to whether Mary knew that within a few days her beloved Lord would be in the tomb. She may have been so informed in view of the hallowed intimacy between Jesus and the family; or she may have gathered from the remarks of Christ to the apostles that the sacrifice of His life was impending; or perhaps by inspired intuition she was impelled to render the loving tribute by which her memory has been enshrined in the hearts of all who know and love the Christ."