Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 01, 2015

JC - Chapter 26

In our stake, we have those that range from very affluent to many that are far less affluent.  This morning I was touched by two teachings of the Savior.  First, to those less affluent, as one inquired of the Savior -

"...Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me."  (New Testament | Luke 12:13)

To which the Savior responded -

"...Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth."  (New Testament | Luke 12:15)

In my mind covetousness is one of the greater causes of unhappiness.

And then to the affluent, the Savior taught -

"...a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."  (New Testament | Luke 12:16 - 21)

The test in this life is what we do with or without riches.  The prophet, Jacob taught his people -

"...before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.
19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."  (Book of Mormon | Jacob 2:18 - 19)