Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, August 13, 2015

JC - Chapter 5

In this chapter, Elder Talmage referenced multiple Old Testament scriptures and prophecies concerning the coming of Christ in the meridian of time.  For my blog this morning, I would like to reference or touch on three.  After Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden -

"...Adam was obedient unto the commandments of the Lord.

6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.
7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.
8 Wherefore, thou shalt do all that thou doest in the name of the Son, and thou shalt repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.
9 And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 5:5 - 9)

Obviously, the "Only Begotten of the Father" was yet to come.  The blood sacrifices of Adam to Moses and sacrifices associated with the law of Moses all looked forward to this event.

Lehi also prophesied -

"...even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem, a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews—even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world.
5 And he also spake concerning the prophets, how great a number had testified of these things, concerning this Messiah, of whom he had spoken, or this Redeemer of the world.
6 Wherefore, all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be save they should rely on this Redeemer."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 10:4 - 6)

And finally, the blessing of Jacob to Judah -

"The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come..."  (Old Testament | Genesis 49:10)

It was only the tribe of Judah that remained intact as the Savior was born in this lineage.