Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

JC - Chapter 1

Having just completed the Bible, I am opting to read and blog the book "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage. I'm not sure exactly how I will blog being it a book not scripture, but we will see.

In the introduction to this book, Elder Talmage states -

"...In this undertaking we are to be guided by the light of both ancient and modern scriptures..."

Where the footnote states -

"c The Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price constitute the standard works of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These will be cited alike as Scriptures in the following pages, for such they are."

I agree in that much of my scripture blogs over the years are those great books.

With his introduction he also explains -

As we proceed with our study, we shall find that among the specific teachings of the Church respecting the Christ are these: (1) The unity and continuity of His mission in all ages—this of necessity involving the verity of His preexistence and foreordination. (2) The fact of His antemortal Godship. (3) The actuality of His birth in the flesh as the natural issue of divine and mortal parentage. (4) The reality of His death and physical Resurrection, as a result of which the power of death shall be eventually overcome. (5) The literalness of the Atonement wrought by Him, including the absolute requirement of individual compliance with the laws and ordinances of His gospel as the means by which salvation may be attained. (6) The restoration of His Priesthood and the reestablishment of His Church in the current age, which is verily the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. (7) The certainty of His return to earth in the near future, with power and great glory, to reign in Person and bodily presence as Lord and King."

"Antemortal" means before birth.