Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, July 31, 2015

Revelation 17

Nephi saw much the same things that John saw.  The Lord told Nephi that the apostle John would write the things they both saw.  Thus Nephi wrote -

"...I, Nephi, am forbidden that I should write the remainder of the things which I saw and heard; wherefore the things which I have written sufficeth me; and I have written but a small part of the things which I saw..."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 14:28)

One thing he did write was -

"...Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth.
11 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the whore of all the earth, and she sat upon many waters; and she had dominion over all the earth, among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 14:10 - 11)

John saw two symbolic woman.  One being the true Church or Church of the Lamb, and the other woman, a great conterfeit of Satan, the mother of abominations or whore of all the earth where John described -

"...I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."  (New Testament | Revelation 17:3 - 5)

As John marveled at her supposed greatness, the angel asked -

"...Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.
8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is."  (New Testament | Revelation 17:7 - 8)

Obviously, Satan was relying on mutliple counterfeits as -

"...The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.."  (New Testament | Revelation 17:9)

Like Nephi saw, John also saw the great fall of the abominiable church and the whore of all the earth with all its wicked people who thought the woman was invincable, it will come that -

"...that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come."  (New Testament | Revelation 18:10)

"For in one hour so great riches is come to nought..." (New Testament | Revelation 18:17)

"...for in one hour is she made desolate."  (New Testament | Revelation 18:19)

With all this, I beleive I have a better understanding of Isaiah's prophecies concerning "waste places".