Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, August 28, 2015

JC - Chapter 15

In this chapter Elder Talmage teaches much concerning the Sabbath, including its beginnings, purpose, and the conditions in the day of the Savior.  One of the scriptures Elder Talmage mentioned was Ezekiel's explanation -

"Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them."  (Old Testament | Ezekiel 20:12)

The Lord told Moses much the same thing -

"Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you."  (Old Testament | Exodus 31:13)

As I ponder these two verses, it suggests to me that keeping the Sabbath day holy is a sign.  In my mind, it is a sign that we acknowledge the Lord and by doing so our sanctified or made clean or righteous.  I seems to me that the sign itself is left to or established by the worshipper.  Obviously, as we consider the signs that we are willing to show the Lord that we are willing to keep His Sabbath holy is between the worshipper and God, in other words, to be between man and God, both have to be in agreement.  Thus, the Holy Ghost or the Holy Spirit of Promise would establish the sign to be a covenant that we may be sanctified.

This would suggest to me at least that all the Pharisaic type does and don'ts are meaningless other than those commanded of God such as -

"Thou shalt offer a sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in righteousness, even that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
9 And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 59:8 - 10)