Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

JC - Chapter 13

In this chapter, in the early mission of the Savior, we see instances where Jesus declared His divinity being the Messiah.  First to the Samaritan woman at the well, He tells her -

"If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water."  (New Testament | John 4:10)

And -

"...whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."  (New Testament | John 4:14)

After convincing her that He possessed great powers to know her past, she considers Him a prophet to which -

"The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he."  (New Testament | John 4:25 - 26)

I find it interesting that as she returns to share this with her people, they also become believers.

Later, amongst his own Jewish neighbors in a synagogue, the Savior quotes Isaiah -

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord."  (New Testament | Luke 4:18 - 19)

To which after He sat down, He testifies to all listening ears -

"...This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."  (New Testament | Luke 4:21)

Though He again declares He is the Messiah, these Jews did not take kindly to His expounding for -

"...when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way,"  (New Testament | Luke 4:28 - 30)

The same testimony, two different responses.