Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Revelation 8

John saw that  -

"...when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."  (New Testament | Revelation 8:1)

This must be important because again in modern day revelation we read that -

"...there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:95)

I'm sure that many have speculated that "silence in heaven" would suggest no revelation.  But I had a different thought as I read these words.

It seems that silence at times is a representation of reverence, excitement, and great anticipation of what may happen.  We see this in many sporting events coming down to a penalty kick, foul shot, or field goal.  In many cases it represents us "holding our breaths".

There is no question that the opening of the seventh seal and the second coming of the Savior has been prophesied and talked much about during all the other seals or thousand years.  I'm sure all the children of God and all living things must have held their breaths with great excitement as the seventh seal was opened.

One last thought as John saw what appears to be such great destruction as four of the angels sounded their trumpets.  I believe much of these descriptions of events are more symbolic than literal...as well as chronological for as the third angel sounded -

"...there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter."  (New Testament | Revelation 8:10 - 11)

In my mind, that great star symbolically is Satan and his followers (one third of the host of heaven) which we know had fallen to the earth.  In my mind the Satan is called Wormwood and his followers, "waters of Wormwood".  There is no question because of his influence that many men have suffered a spiritual death from the waters of wormwood.