Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 26, 2015

1 Corinthians 11

In answer to their questions, Paul reminds the Corinthians of the purpose and meaning of the sacrament asking -

"When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 11:20)

I believe Paul is asking "is it not to eath the Lord's supper". 

And then he recounts the implementation of this sacred ordinance as  -

"...the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 11:23 - 25)

The main purpose of the ordinance was to remember Him, His life and His atonement.

And then Paul also warns that -

"... whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 11:27 - 30)

"Unworthily" in my mind would be those that do not come forward with a broken heart and contrite spirit with a willingness to repent and strive to keep the commandments.  In other words, unworthily would be those that have committed grevious sin and do so in rebellion. 

Even though in verse thirty, weak, sickly, and death may be physical, it most definetly would be spiritual.