Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Romans 10

I have recently blogged on teachings that the apostle Paul said concerning faith, hope, grace, covenants, ordinances, and righteousness.  The the other day I noted where Paul taught -

"For we are saved by hope..."  (New Testament | Romans 8:24)

Though this is true, without including all scriptural teachings or words, one might assume that all you have to do is hope and you will be rewarded eternal.  Obviously, one has to combine all prophetic teachings including that of Jesus Christ.

Paul also taught another truth in my reading this morning -

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."  (New Testament | Romans 10:9)

But if one was to just rely on those words that all you had to do is confess by thy mouth and believe that would fall short of all the conditions and teachings of the Savior for Paul continued -

"For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness..."  (New Testament | Romans 10:10)

Or in other words -

"For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 137:9)

When Paul speaks of works and the law, the reader must take his words in context for in most cases as writes to the Jews, he is referring the the works and law of Moses where many Jews error in thinking the salvation comes by the law of Moses, thus as Paul speaks of Israel -

"Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."  (New Testament | Romans 11:5 - 6)

I belief Paul is trying to teach the Jews that they need to add to their faith, the works of Christ's law.