Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

1 Corinthians 9

Paul teaches a great principle as he associates with different types or groups of members writing -

"...though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 9:19 - 22)

This suggests to me that as we serve members, at times it is best to become one of them without lowering your values or standards.

A good example to me is where some wards have very few young men.  Instead of reducing the number of leaders, it may be wise to increase leaders where they become as one of or friends with the youth increasing in numbers, fun, and activities.

I am reminded when several high priest older than I invited me to go fishing with them.  In a sense, they put their arms around me and we all enjoyed the activity.  Even though they were older, I felt part of them and their friendship.  This could be the same with our youth.

Paul taught another profound principle that all men should be aware of in all their challenges and tribulations.  That is -

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 10:13)

I note that the temptation is not taken away but the individual can bear it.  In my mind, as the Lord did to the people of Alma...He made their burden light that they could bear it.