Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

1 Corinthians 8

As Paul counseled the saints concerning eating that which was sacrificed to false gods, he teaches -

"...we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 8:4 - 6)

Paul understood that eternal nature and possibilities of man.  That we as His offspring have the potential to become like Him through the atonement of Jesus Christ, he acknowledges that because of that (there be gods many).  But then he explains that "to us" there is but one God, the Father of us all.

Some would suggest that Paul is referring to false gods, but I strongly believe he was referring to the potential of us all.