Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Acts 9

I had blogged several days ago (John 11) how the Savior received permission from the Father or in other words, learned it was the will of the Father to raise Lazarus from the dead.  Now Peter, and apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, holding priesthood authority from the Savior visted Joppa where -

"...there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.
37 And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber.
38 And forasmuch as Lydda was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them.
39 Then Peter arose and went with them."  (New Testament | Acts 9:36 - 39)

I can just imagine what was going through Peter's mind as he approached Joppa for -

"...When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them.
40 But Peter put them all forth..."  (New Testament | Acts 9:39 - 40)

I find this significant as Peter asked them to leave the room.  It is then, following the example of the Savior as he -

"...kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise."  (New Testament | Acts 9:40)

Much as was done with Lazarus, it appears to me that in prayer, Peter learned the will of the Father and thus having faith and authority commanded Tabitha to arise.  Miracles always follow faith and the will of the Father.  The blessing was -

"...it was known throughout all Joppa; and many believed in the Lord."  (New Testament | Acts 9:42)