Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 09, 2015

Acts 9

We are taught by the Lord that  -

"...I am able to do mine own ...for I will show unto the children of men that I am able to do mine own work."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 27:20 - 21)

But even though the Lord has stated the He is able to do His work, the scriptures continually point out that He chooses to do it by authorized men on the earth.  After Saul was visited by the Savior, He instructed Saul -

"...Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do."  (New Testament | Acts 9:6)

We are told that as Saul arose from this vision that -

"...when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus."  (New Testament | Acts 9:8)

It was then in Damascus that Saul -

"...was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink."  (New Testament | Acts 9:9)

Obviously, Saul was fasting and praying.  At the same time -

"...there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight."  (New Testament | Acts 9:10 - 12)

Ananias, knowing that Saul was out taking captive the believers of Christ, he strongly questioned this revelation.  But the Lord said to Ananias -

"...Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake."  (New Testament | Acts 9:15 - 16)

And so in obedience -

"...Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."  (New Testament | Acts 9:17 - 18)

There is no question that the Lord could have done all this with no help from Ananias.  But there is no question that this work greatly blessed Saul with humility and Ananias in diligence and faithful obedience.  What a great lesson on how the Savior does His own work.