Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 25, 2014

Jeremiah 20

Being a prophet amongst wicked people and friends must be overwhelming and discouraging.  Jeremiah comments -

"O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
8 For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 20:7 - 9)

I think the word "deceive" should be interpreted more like persuade or persuaded.  Even as difficult as the work of the Lord is, I was touched by the Jeremiah's reference to the influence and power of the Holy Ghost "as a burning fire shut up in my bones".

Probably in his most lamenting hours, Jeremiah writes -

"Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed.
15 Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad.
16 And let that man be as the cities which the LORD overthrew, and repented not: and let him hear the cry in the morning, and the shouting at noontide;
17 Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb to be always great with me.
18 Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed with shame?"  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 20:14 - 18)

My heart goes out to the call given to  Jeremiah.