Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, August 22, 2014

Jeremiah 17

Jeremiah asks of the heart and then answers -

"...who can know it?
10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 17:9 - 10)

In modern day we are taught -

"For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts."   (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 137:9)

Which suggests our works and the nature of our hearts will be that upon which we are judges.

The Lord instructs Jeremiah to go to the gates of Jerusalem and command Judah -

"...Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem;
22 Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 17:21 - 22)

The promise is -

"...it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein;
25 Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: and this city shall remain for ever."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 17:24 - 25)

This suggests to me that if a nation keep this commandment, the nation will be blessed.

I feel I have to include Jeremiah's experience the analogy of the potter's clay -

"THE word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 18:1 - 6)

If we allow the Lord to mold us, we may become as He would have us be.

One last thought...Jeremiah recorded how the people felt about his prophecying writing -

"Then said they, Come, and let us devise devices against Jeremiah; for the law shall not perish from the priest, nor counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophet. Come, and let us smite him with the tongue, and let us not give heed to any of his words."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 18:18)

As Lehi prophesied to the same people, the Lord said to him  -

"...Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to take away thy life." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 2:1)

Obviously, the Lord had a different mission for Lehi than Jeremiah.