Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Jeremiah 14

Alma teaches his son -

"...the plan of restoration is requisite with the justice of God; for it is requisite that all things should be restored to their proper order."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 41:2)

And then he asks and answers -

"...is the meaning of the word restoration to take a thing of a natural state and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature?
13 O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 41:12 - 13)

I believe that is what Jeremiah is trying to teach as he asks -

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?"  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 13:23)

Speaking of wicked and false leaders or supposedly prophets, Jeremiah writes

"...the [false] prophets say unto them, Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.
14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.
15 Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 14:13 - 15)

David J. Ridges comments -

"Sometimes we think of false prophets, such as those in verse 13, above, as being various religious leaders gone astray. But we would do well to think of political leaders, media idols, philosophers, teachers, in fact any who lead us away from the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ, as being false prophets also."  (Ridges, David J. (2014-04-03). The Old Testament Made Easier Part 3)

This is so evident today as political and institutional leaders serve as false prophets that are lies.