Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Isaiah 60

Isaiah counseled Israel in the last days -

"ARISE, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 60:1)

Which is much like the Lord's counsel in latter days -

"Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 115:5)

Isaiah tells Israel what will happen if they do -

"For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
4 Lift up thine eyes round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from far, and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.
5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 60:2 - 5)

In modern day -

"...that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 115:6)

And of those who won't come out of darkness, Isaiah prophecies -

"For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 60:12)

In previous blogs, I have written much that I think the basic theme of Isaiah's writings is that from the beginning of "Israel" to the end.  The final "House of Israel" or His chosen people will be His seed, His children, and He will be the Father of the House of Israel.  It is understandable why the Lord has demonstrated much patience with Israel through the years and His very purpose for Isaiah writes -

"Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 60:21)