Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, July 11, 2014

Isaiah 48

The next two chapters found in Isaiah were the first that Nephi records that he taught to his family...especially brothers, Laman and Lemuel.  It seems to me that they had great application to Laman and Lemuel.  I would assume that Nephi felt the same way as he likened the words of Isaiah concerning a not-so-obedient Israel saying -

:...HEAR ye this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness.
2 For they call themselves of the holy city, and stay themselves upon the God of Israel; The LORD of hosts is his name."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 48:1 - 2)

I think these words suggest that they call themselves righteous and pretend to rely upon the Lord. The Lord even warns -

"There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 48:22)

Nephi even seemed to plead with his brothers just as the Lord plead with Israel -

"Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.
17 Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 48:16 - 18)

It is apparent as we leave wickedness and repent, great blessings and properity is promised as we live righteously.  Thus we are commanded -

"Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say ye, The LORD hath redeemed his servant Jacob."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 48:20)