Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 23, 2014

Isaiah 13

Isaiah was blessed to foresee the destruction of several nations, in each case, Isaiah begins with -

"THE burden of..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 13:1)

He begins with Babylon which was so wicked for many years that it became synonymous with Satan's kingdom where Nimrod -

"...began to be a mighty one in the earth.
9 He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.
10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar."  (Old Testament | Genesis 10:8 - 10)

I know of no record that suggests that the people of Babel or Babylon ever repented.  Isaiah's vision of Babylon seems to have duel meaning - the destruction of the City of Babylon and the destruction of Satan's kingdom in the last days before the millennium.  But before this destruction the righteous will be gathered where they will -

"Lift ye up a banner upon the high mountain, exalt the voice unto them, shake the hand, that they may go into the gates of the nobles.
3 I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness.
4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the LORD of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.
5 They come from a far country, from the end of heaven, even the LORD, and the weapons of his indignation, to destroy the whole land."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 13:2 - 5)

And then comes the burden of Babylon where the Lord  -

"...will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 13:11)

Isaiah graphically describes this destruction both of the city and the kingdom of Satan which I won't list.  But in summary -

"....Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 13:19 - 20)

Of the city, that prophecy has been fulfilled.  Of Satan's kingdom, that is yet to come.