Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Exodus 23

In regards to my comments yesterday, I was not suggesting that Moses came up with these laws on his own for we know these were written on the mount.   I believe they were inspired by the laws of God.  But these laws of relationship to one another did not seem to be more of lesser laws (even though good) that the level of laws of Zion or laws of the Celestial Kingdom.

As I struggle with much said in politics these day, I specifically noted the law -

THOU shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness."  (Old Testament | Exodus 23:1)

Some seem to take the position that the ends justify the mean.  This is not in accordance to this law of Moses which I believe applies today.

There is another action that Moses took that seemed to touch me.  We read as Moses returned that -

"...Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.
5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD.
6 And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.
7 And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient.
8 And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words."  (Old Testament | Exodus 24:4 - 8)

I believe there is great symbolism as the people pondered the "blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words".  In my mind, the blood of the covenant would be the Savior's atonement.  Even in our day, weekly we covenant -

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 20:79)

For -

"...behold, this is the whole meaning of the law, every whit pointing to that great and last sacrifice; and that great and last sacrifice will be the Son of God, yea, infinite and eternal.
15 And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:14 - 15)