Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 03, 2014

Exodus 21

With the giving of the  "ten commandments", Moses tells us  -

"...God spake all these words..."  (Old Testament | Exodus 20:1)

Even though many theologians consider the ten commandments to be part of the law of Moses (and they are probably right), my thoughts were a little different this morning.  Obviously, these commandments were given by God so they are his commandments or laws.  Thus I would suggest that they are the law of God.

But as I read chapters 21-23 in Exodus, Moses seems to write laws that would assist the children of Israel in their freedoms and relationships with each other, much like legislatures do today to preserve our rights and freedoms.

He seemed to write laws or rules such as -

"...if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."  (Old Testament | Exodus 21:23 - 25)

Even though these laws are just, I sense that were more what man would do to be honest and fair in man's relationship with one another, thus, in my mind, they are justifiably called the "law of Moses" or the laws given by Moses.

These were my thoughts as I read these chapters this morning.