Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 21, 2014

Exodus 16

As the children of Israel murmured -

"...Would to God we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:3)

In all patience, knowing that the Israelites had to be taught basic principles of faith and obedience -

"...said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:4)

And so the Lord promised -

"...This shall be, when the LORD shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full..."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:8)

But the condition was thus -

"...Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:16)

"...it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily.  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:5)

And as promised -

"...it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp: and in the morning the dew lay round about the host.
14 And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.
15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:13 - 15)

Obviously there was a process of learning obedience for  -

"Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them.
21 And they gathered it every morning, every man according to his eating: and when the sun waxed hot, it melted."  (Old Testament | Exodus 16:20 - 21)

As I read of the conditions and blessings given to the children of Israel as they obeyed, I couldn't help but think of the law of tithing where the Savior taught -

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it."  (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 24:10)

I believe this law of obedience is not much different.  It seems as we continue to live the law of tithing, we are blessed with daily temporal and spiritual food and blessings.  It may not be as evident as manna, but as we look back we will see small but continual blessings poured out upon us as we obey.