Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 14, 2014

Exodus 3

As Moses was called to deliver Israel from bondage, he responded as so many of us would -

"...Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?"  (Old Testament | Exodus 3:11)

For the last 40 years he had just been a shepherd.  Obviously, in this little pressure lifestyle, I'm sure he had become quite complacent in his leadership skills.  But the Lord answered -

"...Certainly I will be with thee..."  (Old Testament | Exodus 3:12)

Accepting any calling requires a great deal of faith that He will be us.  But it is always interesting, as we look back, we can always see the hand of the Lord in our callings and that He really has been with us even though it may have not necessarily seemed that way all the time.

I was also impressed as the Lord told Moses -

"...I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
8 And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them."  (Old Testament | Exodus 3:7 - 9)

And then He adds -

"Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt..."  (Old Testament | Exodus 3:16)

In these words, the Lord declared that He had visited them where they obviously were unaware of.  I wonder how many times in our life as we plead in prayer for his blessings that He literally visits us and we know it not.