Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Genesis 22

As we read the story of Abraham being commanded to sacrifice his son, Isaac, I'm sure many would suggest that this was a test of obedience for Abraham and Isaac in order to receive the promised blessings.  It is my own opinion that Abraham had already shown his great faith and obedience to the Lord.  This would raise the question then - "why would the Lord then ask him to sacrifice his the son from whom the great promises were made?".

There is no question that this was a great test for Abraham, but again, it is my opinion, that this great trial was placed on Abraham shoulders to teach his posterity, symbolically of the the great and last sacrifice of the Son of God that was yet to come.  One cannot read this experience without having great empathy for Abraham.  It would be something of which we understand and teach us concerning the atonement of the Savior.  Some possible symbolism referencing the writings of David J. Ridges -

1.       The Father: Sacrificed His Only Begotten Son.  Abraham: Called upon to sacrifice his only covenant son, Isaac.
2.       The Savior’s birth: Was miraculous. Isaac’s birth: Was miraculous.
3.       The Savior: Voluntarily gave His life (John 10: 18).  Isaac: Voluntarily submitted to his father, Abraham.
4.       The Savior: Was in the tomb for three days. Abraham and Isaac: Took three days to journey to Moriah.
5.       The Savior: Carried His own cross on which He was sacrificed. Isaac: Carried the wood for his sacrifice.
6.       The Savior: Was sacrificed on Golgotha. Isaac: Was placed on the altar on Moriah, part of the same set of hills in Jerusalem as Golgotha.

I think it is important to understand that Isaac would have been in his thirties which would suggest that he to was obedient to the will of Abraham which would suggest "that his will be done".

After Abraham was stopped by the angel in sacrificing Isaac -

"...the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice."  (Old Testament | Genesis 22:15 - 18)

This seems to follow my opinion that all nations would be blessed as we study the obedience of Abraham and as we come to understand its symbolic comparison to the atonement.