Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 30, 2013

Genesis 15

On more than one occasion, the Lord reminds Abraham of the covenant He has made with him.  The Lord again reminds Abraham in a vision -

"...Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."  (Old Testament | Genesis 15:1)

But even though Abraham is faithful in righteousness, you can sense that the promises made concerning his posterity (an exceeding great reward) must be on his mind all the time.  He seems to be struggling with what he should do to solve the situation.  Thus he approaches the Lord -

"...Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir."  (Old Testament | Genesis 15:2 - 3)

I assume that present customs or laws of the day would allow Eliezer's son to be considered Abraham's posterity.  But the Lord answers -

"...This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."  (Old Testament | Genesis 15:4 - 6)

I think Abraham did the right thing trying to propose a solution.  But also, in so many ways, we must demonstrate faith waiting patiently on the Lord for his promised blessings to be fulfilled according to His will and His timing.  This may even include fulfillment after this life for we also learn that there was more to this vision than recorded in Genesis for in the JST of the bible -


"...Abram said, Lord God, how wilt thou give me this land for an everlasting inheritance?
10 And the Lord said, Though thou wast dead, yet am I not able to give it thee [is anything impossible with God]? 
11 And if thou shalt die, yet thou shalt possess it [as a resurrected being when the earth becomes our celestial planet— see D& C 130: 9– 11], for the day cometh, that the Son of man [Jesus Christ] shall live; but how can he live if he be not dead? he must first be quickened [resurrected].
12 And it came to pass, that Abram looked forth and saw the days of the Son of man [Abraham saw the mortal ministry of Christ in vision], and was glad, and his soul found rest, and he believed in the Lord [he had faith in Jesus Christ]; and the Lord counted it unto him for righteousness."  (JST - Genesis 15:9 - 12 including bracketed comments from Ridges, David J. - The Old Testament Made Easier - Part 1)

To sad that the bible does not reflect that Abraham had a vision of the days of the Son of Man.