Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 19, 2013

D&C 117

"In February 1831, the Prophet Joseph Smith entered Newel K. Whitney’s store in Kirtland, Ohio, and exclaimed to the startled proprietor, “Thou art the man!” (The Newel K. Whitney Family, Ensign, December 1978)

Newel K. Whitney had only been a member of the Church for a few months before he was visited by the Prophet.  Apparently, Newel had established a store and had put his heart and soul into the business.  I'm sure the store continued to prosper as the Church headquarters was relocated to Kirtland. 

But only seven years later, because of persecution and apostasy, the headquarters moved to Far West, Missouri.  The Prophet had already asked the saints in Kirtland to relocate to Far West.  This must have been most difficult for Newel to leave his home, property, and business of which he had invested so much of his life.  I have great empathy for Newel as the Lord commands -

"...my servant Newel K. Whitney, let them settle up their business speedily and journey from the land of Kirtland, before I, the Lord, send again the snows upon the earth.
2 Let them awake, and arise, and come forth, and not tarry, for I, the Lord, command it."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:1 - 2)

To which the Lord warns -

"Therefore, if they tarry it shall not be well with them."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:3)

It is then that the Lord provides a greater perspective and reasoning as He explains -

"Let them repent of all their sins, and of all their covetous desires, before me, saith the Lord; for what is property unto me? saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:4)

"For have I not the fowls of heaven, and also the fish of the sea, and the beasts of the mountains? Have I not made the earth? Do I not hold the destinies of all the armies of the nations of the earth?
7 Therefore, will I not make solitary places to bud and to blossom, and to bring forth in abundance? saith the Lord.
8 Is there not room enough on the mountains of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and on the plains of Olaha Shinehah, or the land where Adam dwelt, that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?"  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:6 - 8)

I find the words "for what is property unto me?" and "that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?" to be very meaningful from an eternal perspective.

How hard it must have been for Newel to be chastised of the Lord with -

"Let my servant Newel K. Whitney be ashamed of the Nicolaitane band and of all their secret abominations, and of all his littleness of soul before me, saith the Lord, and come up to the land of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and be a bishop unto my people, saith the Lord, not in name but in deed, saith the Lord."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 117:11)

(The Nicolaitane band were followers of Nicolas mentioned in the Book of Revelation that professed to be Christians but still indulged in unrighteous personal gratifications.)

I know many people that probably would have left the Church receiving such chastisement.  But Newel humbly accepted this rebuke and came to Far West.  Is this one of the greater representations of faithfulness in the history fo the Church.  I personally honor Newel K. Whitney.