Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 12, 2013

D&C 111

After the Prophet Joseph Smith had gone to Salem, Massachusettes, in pursuit of a windfall of wealth, the Lord lovingly told him -

"I, THE Lord your God, am not displeased with your coming this journey, notwithstanding your follies."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 111:1)

But with this being the case, the Lord then provides and teaches His eternal perspective and purpose where He explains -

"I have much treasure in this city for you, for the benefit of Zion, and many people in this city, whom I will gather out in due time for the benefit of Zion, through your instrumentality."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 111:2)

Obviously, the "treasure" are those individuals that might come unto Christ, where He teaches our responsibility in the "work of salvations" -

"Therefore, it is expedient that you should form acquaintance with men in this city, as you shall be led, and as it shall be given you."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 111:3)

One of the first principles of ministering is to "remember their names and become acquainted" (HB2 - Section 3) with people.  I liked to quote from David Ridges -

"As you no doubt know, the Lord could easily point out to our Church leaders today the location of oil, gold, precious minerals, and so forth, which could free the members of the Church from the necessity of sacrificing and making financial contributions. But this would not bless us. Rather, it would curse us because we would be denied the blessings of personal, voluntary sacrifice, which leads us to focus on eternal priorities.
Ridges, David J. (2005-07-01). The Doctrine and Covenants Made Easier, Part 3 (The Gospel Studies Series) (Kindle Locations 3901-3904). Cedar Fort, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I think this has great application on our own lives.  The Lord could easily make us wealthy but does not do so because He loves us.