Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

D&C 63

As Titus Billings was given the chared to sell his property and go to Zion, the Lord teaches and important principle -

"...let all the moneys which can be spared, it mattereth not unto me whether it be little or much, be sent up unto the land of Zion, unto them whom I have appointed to receive."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:40)

In this case as well as with fast offerings, other donations, temple attendance, and other forms of consecration, the Lord does not dictate the amount.  If man is to be worthy to live a celestial life, he must be able to live a celestial law.  The law being to determine ones wants, needs, and ability to consecrate time, talents, and means.  I sense when the Lord says "it mattereth not unto me" that he is leaving those decisions to the individual guided by the Spirit for -

"...it is not meet that I should command in all things..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:26)

For -

"...men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:27 - 28)

One more thought.  There are great promises of protection given to the righteous in the last days.  But the Lord also taught -

"I have sworn in my wrath, and decreed wars upon the face of the earth, and the wicked shall slay the wicked, and fear shall come upon every man;
34 And the saints also shall hardly escape..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:33 - 34)

Also suggesting that some of saints themselves will suffer from the events of the last days.  The Prophet Joseph Smith said -

“It is a false idea that the Saints will escape all the judgments, whilst the wicked suffer; for all flesh is subject to suffer, and ‘the righteous shall hardly escape;’ still many of the Saints will escape, for the just shall live by faith; yet many of the righteous shall fall a prey to disease, to pestilence, etc., by reason of the weakness of the flesh, and yet be saved in the Kingdom of God. So that it is an unhallowed principle to say that such and such have transgressed because they have been preyed upon by disease or death, for all flesh is subject to death;  and the Savior has said, ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged.’” (History of the Church, Vol. 4, page 11.)