Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 28, 2013

D&C 61

In preface to my blog this morning, I note that in the history of the Church that Elder B.H. Roberts wrote of, as several of the brethren traveled up the Missouri river on canoes -

“During the three days upon the river some disagreements and ill feeling had developed among the brethren and explanations and reconciliations had become necessary; it had also been discovered that progress on their journey by the river in canoes was slow, and hence it became necessary for those who had been appointed to purchase the printing press, Sidney Gilbert and William W. Phelps; and the Prophet, Sidney Rigdon, and Oliver Cowdery, who had been commanded to hasten their return to Kirtland, found it imperative to find a more expeditious means of travel than by the canoes. The greater part of the night at McIlwaine’s Bend was devoted to these matters. The brethren became reconciled to each other, and those whose affairs more especially cried haste started overland the next morning for St. Louis, and the rest of the company continued the journey via the river.” (Comprehensive History of the Church, Vol. 1, pages 262-63.)

It is with this understanding that the Lord said to these brethren -

"...O ye elders of my church, who are assembled upon this spot, whose sins are now forgiven you, for I, the Lord, forgive sins, and am merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 61:2)

Obviously, the Lord was please that reconciliation was had and forgiveness shared for -

"I, the Lord, was angry with you yesterday, but today mine anger is turned away."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 61:20)

For -

"...I would not suffer that ye should part until you were chastened for all your sins, that you might be one, that you might not perish in wickedness..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 61:8)

The Lord would later teach -

"There are those who have sought occasion against him without cause;
7 Nevertheless, he has sinned; but verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, forgive sins unto those who confess their sins before me and ask forgiveness, who have not sinned unto death.
8 My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened.
9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:6 - 10)

Again, I feel this counsel is directed to me.  Quorums or councils cannot received revelation without love and unity, with no contention.