Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 21, 2013

D&C 58

It is in this revelation that some important gospel principles are taught.  I would like to touch on a few.  Referring to the parable of the great supper, the Lord taught -

"Yea, a supper of the house of the Lord, well prepared, unto which all nations shall be invited.
10 First, the rich and the learned, the wise and the noble;
11 And after that cometh the day of my power; then shall the poor, the lame, and the blind, and the deaf, come in unto the marriage of the Lamb, and partake of the supper of the Lord, prepared for the great day to come."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:9 - 11)

As I have observed the early proselyting in the restoration of the Church, I believer there were many of the "noble and great ones" of the house of Israel that joined the Church.  Since that day, the work has gone throughout the world in search of humble, meek and poor in heart.

Some others -

"Let no man think he is ruler; but let God rule him that judgeth, according to the counsel of his own will, or, in other words, him that counseleth or sitteth upon the judgment seat."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:20)

"Let no man break the laws of the land, for he that keepeth the laws of God hath no need to break the laws of the land.
22 Wherefore, be subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign, and subdues all enemies under his feet."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:21 - 22)

Spouses and families, -

"...as they shall counsel between themselves and me.
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.
29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:25 - 29)

Again, blessings are predicated upon law for -

"Who am I, saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled?
32 I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing.
33 Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above."  Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:31 - 33)

In regards to Martin Harris which applies to all of us -

"...let him repent of his sins, for he seeketh the praise of the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:39)

And in regards to true repentance -

"Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.
43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 58:42 - 43)

Each of these principles have great application to me.