Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, May 07, 2012

Mosiah 26

As Alma was troubled and faced the burden of what to do with members of the Church that had and were committing serious transgressions -

"...he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:13)

It was only -

"...after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:14)

I'm sure that one of the reasons Alma was troubled so was that he recognized that at one time, he was in the same boat. I'm sure he wondered if he was worthy to judge another because of that. It is this matter the Lord addressed first saying -

"Blessed art thou, Alma, and blessed are they who were baptized in the waters of Mormon. Thou art blessed because of thy exceeding faith in the words alone of my servant Abinadi." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:15)

"Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:18)

"For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me they shall come forth, and shall have a place eternally at my right hand." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:24)

It seems that if we truly have faith in Jesus Christ and repent, that all is behind us and we are worthy saints to serve him...yet at the same time, I believe there is a little more sense of understanding, forgiveness and compassion in the individual. What a great blessing to have the Lord confirm "blessed art thou". The Lord also tells Alma that -

"...because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:19)

And then the Lord provides this great instruction -

"...Go; and whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye judge according to the sins which he has committed; and if he confess his sins before thee and me, and repenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye forgive, and I will forgive him also.
30 Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:29 - 30)

And -

"...those that would not confess their sins and repent of their iniquity, the same were not numbered among the people of the church, and their names were blotted out." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:36)

And of those that sit in judgement -

"...ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor's trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:31)

In my mind, it becomes clear that those that sit in judgement, that there purpose is to hear and discipline in such a manner as directed by the Spirit to allow the transgressor to experience adequate "Godly sorrow" or "sore repentance" such that the individual may "truly" repent to be blessed as a full citizen with the saints as was Alma