Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mosiah 16

I've blogged recently about "envy". It seems to be a common vise in our day where many feel entitled by the work of others. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines envy as -

"...painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage."

It doesn't suggest any kind of joy in the good fortune of others, but more hatred and misery. I seem to feel that this hatred and resentment may have more to do with an unwillingness to work towards the same. I've mentioned that I thought that this is what "fire and brimstone" means. As Abinadi concludes his "message" to the wicked priests of king Noah he teaches much the same saying -

"...the wicked be cast out, and they shall have cause to howl, and weep, and wail, and gnash their teeth; and this because they would not hearken unto the voice of the Lord; therefore the Lord redeemeth them not." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 16:2)

It is interesting to me that the weeping and howling has more to with blaming others for their bad state of affairs where Abinadi specifically tells them it was "because they would not hearken unto the voice of the Lord". This is why envy causes so much pain. The blessings of the infinite atonement is available to all. It is their own fault if one does not take advantage for Abinadi taught of the resurrection -

"If they be good, to the resurrection of endless life and happiness; and if they be evil, to the resurrection of endless damnation, being delivered up to the devil, who hath subjected them, which is damnation—" (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 16:11)

Why?

"Having gone according to their own carnal wills and desires; having never called upon the Lord while the arms of mercy were extended towards them; for the arms of mercy were extended towards them, and they would not; they being warned of their iniquities and yet they would not depart from them; and they were commanded to repent and yet they would not repent." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 16:12)

It is as simple as that.