Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Mosiah 23

Yesterday, I blogged about Godly sorrow and repentance. On his behalf, Alma taught much the same doctrine. Speaking of being considered one of king Noah's wicked priests, he said -

"...I myself was caught in a snare, and did many things which were abominable in the sight of the Lord..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 23:9)

And then in true repentance he explained to his followers -

"...which caused me sore repentance;
10 Nevertheless, after much tribulation, the Lord did hear my cries, and did answer my prayers, and has made me an instrument in his hands in bringing so many of you to a knowledge of his truth." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 23:9 - 10)

He specifically notes "sore" repentance, prayer, and personal tribulation in this process. This obviously was not a simple process. And then, in great humility, acknowledges in all his effort -

"Nevertheless, in this I do not glory, for I am unworthy to glory of myself." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 23:11)

Very simply, Alma brings a great deal of insight to Paul's words "Godly sorrow".