Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mosiah 13

The scriptures teach much about eternal punishment and -

"...a lake of fire burning with brimstone." (New Testament | Revelation 19:20)

John the Revelator wrote -

"If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb..." (New Testament | Revelation 14:9 - 10)

Which suggests in my mind that this torment will be because of seeing the glory of God and His angels. Many have suggested this eternal punishment will be because of the thought of "what could have been?" But that is not what I think. As Abinadi reviewed the ten commandments with the wicked priests of king Noah, he quoted -

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 13:24)

I see this as a commandment to avoid this so called "fire and brimstone". I believe "fire and brimstone" to be "envy" or being in envy of another's possessions, lifestyle, and even goodness. Envy or to covet, in my mind, suggests an absence of love for another's hard work and good fortune. An more apparent, an unwilliness to put forth any effort to acquire such -

"For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work." (New Testament | James 3:16)

Where charity is -

"...charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not..." (Book of Mormon | Moroni 7:45)

This is important as Alma asked the saints in Zarahemla -

"Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of envy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare quickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless." (Book of Mormon | Alma 5:29)