Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Alma 9

I am not aware of the types of wickedness the people of Ammonihah were involved in, just that they were wicked, and as previously blogged, they were already planning to overthow the liberty of the people where Alma was told of the Lord -

"...they do study at this time that they may destroy the liberty of thy people, (for thus saith the Lord) which is contrary to the statutes, and judgments, and commandments which he has given unto his people." (Book of Mormon | Alma 8:17)

It is apparent they wanted to justify their wickeness by changing the laws adn commandments given by the hand of the Lord. So as Alma begins to call the people to repentance, I can't help but compare their reaction to that of our day, where -

"...they began to contend with me, saying:
2 Who art thou? Suppose ye that we shall believe the testimony of one man..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 9:1 - 2)

"And they said also: We will not believe thy words if thou shouldst prophesy that this great city should be destroyed in one day.
5 Now they knew not that God could do such marvelous works, for they were a hard-hearted and a stiffnecked people.
6 And they said: Who is God, that sendeth no more authority than one man among this people, to declare unto them the truth of such great and marvelous things?" (Book of Mormon | Alma 9:4 - 6)

Many reporter and bloggers reflect much the same attitude today. Who is God? But whether they believe or not, I believe there is a litmus test -

"...Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land? And again it is said that: Inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord." (Book of Mormon | Alma 9:13)

That will be the ultimate test, but sadly, being cut off may be to late to change.