Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mosiah 29

As king Mosiah proposed to set up what appears to be a democracy amongst the Nephi, He provides some thought provoking principles of freedom for our day -

"Therefore, choose you by the voice of this people, judges, that ye may be judged according to the laws which have been given you by our fathers, which are correct, and which were given them by the hand of the Lord.
26 Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.
27 And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:25 - 27)

Our laws of today should be based upon the laws "by our fathers (the constitution), which are correct, and which were given them by the hand of the Lord." It is critical that our laws of today are those given by the hand of the Lord, not the wisdom of man. Mosiah warns the consequences of laws that follow the wisdom of man. Because Mosiah was a righteous king, never seeking power or payments from his people, he also opines -

"...I desire that this inequality should be no more in this land, especially among this my people; but I desire that this land be a land of liberty, and every man may enjoy his rights and privileges alike, so long as the Lord sees fit that we may live and inherit the land, yea, even as long as any of our posterity remains upon the face of the land." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:32)

And I specifically note of laziness and iniquity -

"...that these things ought not to be; but that the burden should come upon all the people, that every man might bear his part." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:34)

I believe this is the only way a democracy can continue and be sustained.