Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 02, 2012

Mosiah 1

King Benjamin undstood the great importance of the scriptures to his sons as -

"...he caused that they should be taught in all the language of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their fathers, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 1:2)

"The language" then, in my mind, would be more than just learning a language as we think, but more, a language,communication, or how the Holy Ghost speaks the the words of Christ through His holy prophets. For the purpose that they -

"...might read and understand of his mysteries..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 1:5)

I believe a "mystery" as referred to is knowledge that only come by revelation to an individual or to a prophet and confirmed to the individual by the Holy Ghost. The wisdom of King Benjamin is manifest as he teaches his sons -

"...my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 1:7)

I think the word "search" is significant. It suggest more than reading. It suggests that as one reads, one is asking themselves - "what is it that the Lord would have me learn and understand?" in other words, what is the mystery contained herein. This is the very reason I continue with this scripture blog.