Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Omni

What I found interesting this morning as I read the Book of Omni was the perspective of individuals that lived different lifestyles related to obedience to the commandments and righteousness. First, Omni confesses that -

"...I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done." (Book of Mormon | Omni 1:2)

This fatherly example seems to follow with sons, Amaron and Chemish, and Chemish's son, Abinadom. None of these individuals suggest that that they are wicked, but they certainly do not write anything overly spiritual other than understanding their commitment to keep the commandment to keep and write some history in this record. I would suspect that they were somewhat patriotic men. The only thing Abinadom shares is the wars with the Lamanites -

"...and I, with my own sword, have taken the lives of many of the Lamanites in the defence of my brethren." (Book of Mormon | Omni 1:10)

My inclination that these men were not faithful men in keeping the commandments is as Abinadom (understanding the purpose and commandment of writing only that which is sacred and of worth to Nephi's posterity), comments -

"...I know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written." (Book of Mormon | Omni 1:11)

It is hard for me to believe, having observed a pattern of the Lord throughout the Old Testament, amongst the Jaredites, and now the Nephites, that there were not righteous men and prophets that did teach and warn the poeple. And yet Abinadom, obviously, was unaware of any of these. My thought process seems to be reinforced where Abinadom's son, Amaleki, seems to be different in that he followed Mosiah, when -

"...Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness—" (Book of Mormon | Omni 1:12)

It appears, Amaliki is one that did "hearken unto the voice of the Lord" for he followed Mosiah into the wilderness to the land of Zarahemla. In contrast to his father's comments, Amaliki writes -

"...they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm..." (Book of Mormon | Omni 1:13)

As general conference approaches this weekend, there seems to be a sharp contrast to those that do hear and heed and those that do not.