Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Jacob 5

As Jacob relates Zenos's Allegory of the Olive Tree, I noted that after their first visit, several groups of people or branches were planted in several areas of the vineyard. A they followed up with a second visit after much nurturing by the Master's servants -

"...they went forth whither the master had hid the natural branches of the tree..." (Book of Mormon | Jacob 5:20)

I find it interesting that this branch or group of people were hid which would suggest that no one was aware of these other groups. Of the first of one of those groups His servant asks -

"...How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard." (Book of Mormon | Jacob 5:21)

The Master answers -

"...Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit." (Book of Mormon | Jacob 5:22)

Even such that as -

"...they went forth whither the master had hid the natural branches of the tree, and he said unto the servant: Behold these; and he beheld the first that it had brought forth much fruit; and he beheld also that it was good." (Book of Mormon | Jacob 5:20)

In my mind, "the poorest spot" would suggest the most humblest and difficult spots in the vineyard. I find it interesting that under these conditions that this group of people "brought forth much fruit" and "it was good". As I recorded earlier, the Lord said to Isaiah -

"For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 20:10)

There seems to be a direct correlation between those that are humble and need the blessings of the Lord that deliver "good fruit". In contrast we also see the Master and servant later visiting a corrupt tree tree with bad fruit whereby the Lord asks His servant -

"...Who is it that has corrupted my vineyard?
48 And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: Is it not the loftiness of thy vineyard—have not the branches thereof overcome the roots which are good? And because the branches have overcome the roots thereof, behold they grew faster than the strength of the roots, taking strength unto themselves. Behold, I say, is not this the cause that the trees of thy vineyard have become corrupted?" (Book of Mormon | Jacob 5:47 - 48)

Where humility and affliction seemed to bear good fruit, we learn that loftiness or pride taking strength of themselves and not relying on the Lord, His covenants and teachings, that bad fruit is borne.