Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Enos

Enos writes recalling a day he went hunting -

"...the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul..." (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:3 - 4)

After much prayer, even all day long and even into the night -

"...there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed." (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:5)

We learn a little bit more about the delivery of this voice as he writes of a second time that the voice came to him, for -

"...for, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again..." (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:10)

I think Elijah best described this voice that would come into one's mind as -

"..a still small voice." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 19:12)

But what caught my attention this morning was how Enos reacted shortly after he heard that his sins were forgiven and his "guilt had been swept away" -

"...it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren..." (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:9)

I believe this is the natural result and obligation as we begin to understand "the plan" as our standing improves in the presence of God.