Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 27, 2012

2 Nephi 23

As one reads the Old Testament, there is no question regarding the greatness of the city of Babylon compared to other cities at that time. But some two hundred year years before the fall of Babylon, Isaiah prophecied -

"And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.
21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces; and her time is near to come, and her day shall not be prolonged. For I will destroy her speedily; yea, for I will be merciful unto my people, but the wicked shall perish." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 23:19 - 22)

Though Babylon had existed and at times had flourished for thousands fo years, Isaiah would prophecy that there would be "total" destruction such the Babylon would not exist. That is a pretty bold prophecy and yet we now know it to be true. Why then would anyone question, Isaiah's prophecy of the "worldly Babylon" or the wicked in the latter days saying -

"Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate; and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light; the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
11 And I will punish the world for evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay down the haughtiness of the terrible.
12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold..." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 23:9 - 12)

As Isaiah prophecied of ancient Babylon, I too believe this day will come.