Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2 Nephi 11

After Jacob had finished his teachings of the words of Isaiah, Nephi writes of three things that delights his soul -

"...my soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ; for, for this end hath the law of Moses been given; and all things which have been given of God from the beginning of the world, unto man, are the typifying of him.
5 And also my soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord which he hath made to our fathers; yea, my soul delighteth in his grace, and in his justice, and power, and mercy in the great and eternal plan of deliverance from death.
6 And my soul delighteth in proving unto my people that save Christ should come all men must perish." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 11:4 - 6)

What seemed to touch me was verse 5 where his "soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord" which plan is "of deliverance from death". Covenants as I blogged las Friday are essential to salvation or spiritual death.

After the Lord had chastised Israel, up and down for all their wickedness, because of covenants, he again extends in love and mercy -

"Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:16 - 19)

Herein is the covenant of salvation including the ordinance of baptism. Again, we covenant to not only keep his commandments and ceasing from evil, but we also covenant to "learn to do well". That is, we -

"...must visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 44:6)